Wednesday, March 19, 2008

There Are Still Nice People In The World Today

I just have to share this: I took the Honda to the dealership to get the oil changed. Ben had wanted me to tell the tech he thought there was an exhaust leak, and to check it out , see how much it would cost. Great, I thought, because I'm a woman, this tech is going to tell me everything is wrong w/the car and I might as well hand him my credit card (sorry, that's the way I view this situation). And what do you know, I was right!!! He says to me, "Mrs. Washburn, there's a large hole in the exhaust, the welding has come apart. To fix it, you need a new muffler, blah, blah and it's going to cost you $621 plus tax. We can have it fixed in an hour if you'd like". Yah right, do I really look that dumb??? So, I said to him, why can't you weld what came apart (My Dad is a welder mechanic, I have some insight)? "Oh, that wouldn't work" the tech tells me. I politely tell him I'll stick w/the oil change and get a second opinion.

On my way home, I decide to stop at the muffler shop down the road from us. Well, first I came back home to get Maxx. I try to give him all the car rides he can possibly get! I waited a few minutes at the shop because no one was up front, but I could see a man working in the back. And also because there was a very cute puppy behind the counter and I really wanted to pet him!!!

The owner comes up front and asks me how I am and what could he help me with. So, I tell him the gist of the problem and show him the invoice from the Honda dealership. I was planning to make an appt, but he said if I had time now to pull the car around to the bay. I told him I had Maxx w/me, and he said that's fine, he can play w/the puppy. Oh, great, a play date for Maxx!

The car's on the lift, the dogs are playing, and I'm talking to the owner. He says, "the exhaust has a few pin-holes in it, I can weld it and fix it on the spot". Sounds good! And he did so, and refused to charge me!!!! I kept asking him if he wanted any $$$ and he said, "there'll be a day you need a bigger repair and you can pay me then". Wow----how nice! I happily called Ben and told him and he said the owner has done that for him too. We decided we'll go to the shop together and thank him once again.

It's a good feeling when I come across someone who's kind. And I'll certainly return the favor by recommending him to anyone who needs muffler work.

2 comments:

Susan said...

WOW! Thank God for people like that!

Cheryl said...

What was the name of the shop? You should put a link or just the name...